How to prepare Shrimp Patties with Nopales?
Shrimp Patties with Nopales, tortitas de camaron seco is the translation in Spanish. In all honesty, it’s one of those traditional Mexican dishes.
The shrimp patties with nopales are a great Mexican recipe you should include in your favorites folder without doubt. In this stewed dish we will make several separate preparations, first we will make some cooked nopales, on the other hand we have some delicious shrimp pancakes and finally a tomato and shrimp broth that will give flavor to the entire dish.
Even though these dried shrimp patties are popular this time of the year, you can make them year around. I know that many people cook them in order to follow traditions that have been carried on from generation to generation, and will only prepare them for their Friday meal during the days of Lent, or in the course of the Holy Week when many Catholic Mexicans will abstain from eating red meat.
How do you make shrimp patties?
Shrimp cakes are usually accompanied with a sauce. Whether it’s a mild tomato sauce for the kids to enjoy or smoky red chili sauce to complement the bottom of the dish, it’s delicious and rich. Here is the recipe
How to prepare Shrimp Patties with Nopales (tortas de camaron con nopales)Course: FoodCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Easy
Dried shrimp patties during lent is a staple. Tortitas de camaron seco is the translation in Spanish. In all honesty, it’s one of those traditional Mexican dishes.
10 pieces of Nopal Cooked and chopped into medium squares
3 guajillo chiles cooked and deveined
2 cooked tomatoes
1 Consomme cube chicken
¼ kilogram of prawns dried
½ cup bread ground
1 jet of oil
- We will start by making the shrimp pancakes . For this, the shrimp are cleaned well. Reserve the heads separately and discard the rest of the shell.
- Cook the shrimp in a skillet until they are toasted. Do the pampering with the heads, first removing the part of the eyes. So, grind the heads with half the toasted shrimp, the idea is to leave them powdered.
- Next, beat the egg whites until stiff, when they have the proper texture, add the yolks, the shrimp powder and the breadcrumbs. Mix all this with wrapping movements until all the ingredients are integrated.
- To finish with our shrimp pancakes we heat enough oil and fry portions of dough served with a ladle. We are giving it the shape of pancakes with the spatula and cook on both sides until golden.
- Remove to a plate with absorbent paper to remove excess oil.
When we have the shrimp pancakes ready, we will prepare the tomato caldillo . To do this, grind the tomatoes with the chilies, the consomm tablet and the onion.
- The result is passed through a strainer and everything is poured into a deep frying pan over medium heat.
- Besides, the toasted shrimp that we had reserved are liquefied with a little water. We hope that it breaks a first boil in the pan with the broth and then this is added to the preparation.
- Continue cooking for an additional 10 minutes.
- At the time of serving, mix the caldillo with the cooked nopales and present on the plate along with the shrimp pancakes. Accompany the nopales with shrimp pancakes with some corn cakes and enjoy.
- See also: this Mexican Shrimp Patties Recipe