The green broth is a typical preparation of Portugal that mainly includes sausage, potatoes and many cabbages. It is highly appreciated in various parts of Brazil. It is usually eaten at the end of the year festivities, although it is so rich and appreciated that the Portuguese eat it whenever they can.
This version is for making in an electronic instant cooking pot, known as Instant Pot. If you do not have one of these at home, you can do it with a pressure cooker or a conventional one, keeping in mind that it will probably take longer.
Ingredients (6 serve)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 350 grams dry-cured chorizo, unwrapped, sliced
- 1 bunch cabbage with stems cut into slices and leaves torn into small pieces
- 900 grams of chopped potatoes
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon of coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Pour the oil into the container of the instant pressure cooker and activate the option to mix. When hot, add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown in places, about 5 minutes. Remove excess fat and add kale, potatoes, onion, and garlic. Stir and season with salt and pepper. Then add the bay leaves and 6 cups of water. Stir everything very well and turn off the appliance.
- Put the cap on, ensuring that the steam release valve is in the proper position. Select the manual option and program 6 minutes at high pressure.
- As soon as the time has elapsed, turn off the pot. Give the option to release steam quickly. Wait until all the steam comes out and remove the lid. Add more salt if necessary. Serve in deep plates with a good slice of bread.