Chicken Dinner Recipes, quick and easy dinner inspirations. We shared most popular and favourite easy and quick chicken recipes for dinner.
From sheet pan chicken dinners, to skillet chicken, to slow cooker chicken, to one pot chicken and rice, I have got you covered. Plus, there are so many different flavour options to choose from. The best part? These chicken recipes are perfect for busy weeknights because they are quick and ready in about 45 minutes or less.
Creamy Lemon Chicken Piccata
Quick and easy, creamy lemon chicken piccata is a simple and delicious 30-minute meal made with tender chicken breast in a light lemon sauce with capers.
Chicken piccata is a classic Italian dish where chicken breast that has been sliced and pounded is covered in flour and cooked with a light lemon sauce with capers. It is one of my favourite Italian dishes along with easy chicken parmesan (parmigiana), creamy tortellini soup with sausage, and shrimp fettuccine alfredo pasta bake.
To make this easy chicken dinner, you will need:
- Chicken breasts – two boneless and skinless chicken breasts (1 lb. total), sliced in half and then carefully flattened with a rolling pin to ¼-inch thick.
- Chicken seasoning – Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- All-purpose flour – for coating the chicken (dredging), and some more for the sauce.
- Vegetable oil – to sear the chicken.
- Chicken broth – or 1 tablespoon chicken chicken bouillon powder + 1 cup water.
- Heavy cream
- Capers and lemon juice – these are classic ingredients in chicken piccata and give it its signature flavour.
- Garnish – fresh parsley and lemon wedges.
- For serving (optional) – dry pasta such as spaghetti or linguine or mashed potatoes.
How to Make The Best Creamy Lemon Chicken Piccata
Flatten the chicken: Slice each chicken breast carefully in half lengthwise (horizontally) and place one at a time, between 2 sheets of plastic cling wrap or in a ziploc freezer bag. Carefully flatten the chicken breasts with a rolling pin until they are approximately ¼-inch thick. Don’t pound the breasts too hard, as it could tear them apart. Ideally, you want flattened chicken breasts with uniform thickness.
Season and dredge the chicken: Season both sides of each chicken breast with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Then, dip the chicken in a shallow bowl of flour and evenly coat both sides. Set aside on a plate.
Sear the chicken: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high for 2 minutes until the oil is sizzling and shimmering. Sear the chicken for about 5 minutes per side until golden brown and fully cooked through. The internal temperature for the chicken should reach 165F. Depending on the size of your skillet, you may have to do this in two batches. Rest the chicken on a plate.
Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
One of the most popular thing to cook for Instant Pot is Chicken. You can cook a whole chicken (roast style), chicken breasts or drumsticks, or ground chicken directly in your pressure cooker. Follow our tips for best results and check out the collection of recipes below. It is ideal for beginners and experienced.
Tips for the best Chicken Instant Pot:
- Use pieces of the same size to cook evenly;
- Use Natural Pressure Release to get the best, delicious, juicy chicken. The quick release extracts the juices and will result in dried meat;
- Use more seasoning than normal for the best flavors;
- If you cook frozen chicken, make sure each piece is separate; do not place a large piece of frozen chicken glued to each other;
- If possible, brown the chicken in “stir fry” for the best flavor and a delicious sauce;
How to cook frozen chicken in the instant pot?
The best thing about pressure cooking is that you can forget about thawing chicken (literally, actually!) And cooking it from frozen to perfectly juicy and delicious. The instant cooker will take longer to press because it will thaw cold meat first. In addition, you will need to add 3 to 5 minutes to the cooking time of frozen meat. Also, skip the chicken as the frozen meat does not brown well. You may also end up with more liquid at the bottom of the Instant Pot insert since the chicken had to thaw in the pot.
Instant Pot Chicken Stew
Nothing tricky or unusual with this speedier Chicken Stew – we start off browning the bacon and chicken to get all those tasty brown bits on the bottom of the pan which will form part of the flavor base for the sauce.
Then cook off the veggies, add all the stew sauce ingredients, simmer for just 30 minutes until the chicken is tender, then lastly add the mushrooms and greens which don’t take long to cook.
- 0.5 tbsp olive oil
- 150g/5oz bacon , chopped
- 750g/ 1.5lb boneless skinless chicken thighs , cut into 3cm / 1.25″ pieces (Note 1)
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper , each
- 3 garlic cloves , minced (1 tbsp)
- 1 onion , sliced
- 3 carrots , peeled, halved lengthwise, sliced 1cm / 1/3″ thick
- 2 celery stalks , sliced 1cm / 1/3″ thick
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) red wine (Note 2)
- 4 tbsp flour
- 3 cups (750ml) beef stock/broth , low sodium (or chicken, Note 3)
- 400g/ 14oz crushed tomato , canned
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper , each
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 350g/ 12 oz baby potatoes , halved
- 200g/ 6oz mushrooms , halved (large quartered)
- 150g/ 5 oz green beans , trimmed and halved
- Place oil and bacon in a large heavy based casserole pot over high heat.
- When the oil is heated and bacon releases some fat, add chicken.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook, until chicken and bacon is browned.
- Add garlic and onion, cook 1 minute.
- Add celery and carrot, cook 2 minutes.
- Add red wine, allow to simmer rapidly 2 minutes until the winey alcohol smell is gone.
- Add flour, mix until incorporated.
- Slowly pour in half the beef broth while stirring, then pour the rest in.
- Add tomato, Worcestershire, thyme, bay leaves, salt, pepper.
- Stir, add potato.
- Cover, simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove lid, add mushrooms and green beans. Simmer without lid* for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread, sprinkled with parsley if desired!
Italian Creamy Chicken Breast The Rebel
How to cook frozen chicken in the Instant Pot:
If you have frozen chicken breasts and you want to use those to make this in your Instant Pot and add in your sauce ingredients after cooking, or see my recipe notes.
Keep in mind that frozen chicken breasts will release significantly more liquid during cooking, so you’ll want to drain some out before adding in the cream and all of that delicious flavour, otherwise it will be diluted significantly.
- 4 frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts (mine were about 7-8 ounces or 200g each frozen)
- 1 cup water or chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of the Instant Pot (no need to use the trivet!) — it’s okay if they’re stacked, just make sure none are stuck together.
- Pour in the water or chicken broth (or use another liquid like pineapple juice, apple juice, etc.) and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the lid on and move the valve to sealing. Press Manual pressure and set the timer to 10-12 minutes (I’ve found 10 is just right, and at the 12 minute mark they are 180 degrees F or more). The Instant Pot will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure and start counting down from 10.
- When the cook time is up, let pressure release naturally for 5-10 minutes before releasing the remaining pressure. Check that the internal temperature of the chicken is 165 degrees F — mine is always at least or higher.
- Serve as is, chop, or add sauces as desired.
Instant Pot Mongolian Chicken
- Chicken – Chicken dish with both boneless skinless chicken breasts and chicken thighs. It’s great either way, all depends on if you love white meat or dark meat.
- Cornstarch – This will help crisp up the chicken while frying.
- Red Dried Chilies – These pack a little bit of heat, not as much as you’d think.
- Garlic and Ginger – This is where a lot of the flavor comes from.
- Green Onions – for a little freshness.
- Vegetable Oil – for frying.
- Soy Sauce – If possible buy the low sodium kind, and because even low sodium soy sauce is quite salty, it’s not necessary to add any additional salt to this dish.
- Brown Sugar – This is where the sweetness comes from in this dish. You need this brown sugar to balance out the flavors.
- Cornstarch – This is used to thicken the sauce.
- Chicken Broth – We prefer you to use a low sodium or no sodium added chicken broth.
How to make Mongolian chicken
There are three main parts to making this dish, fry the chicken, make the sauce then just toss everything together. It’s fairly simple and quick.
- Make sauce: Whisk all the sauce ingredients together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Prepare the chicken: Toss the chicken with the cornstarch, ensuring each chicken pieces is covered in cornstarch.
- Fry the chicken: Heat the vegetable oil in a pan or wok. Fry the chicken pieces in batches until they are completely cooked through and slightly brown and crispy.
- Finish the dish: Drain the oil from the wok leaving 1 tbsp in the wok, if necessary. Add garlic, ginger, red chiles to the wok and saute for 30 seconds. Add in the prepared sauce and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly until the brown sugar has dissolved completely. Add in the chicken and green onions then toss everything together for 15 seconds.